1. Who is entitled for zero-fare transport services?
- Students and seniors under 62 years of age who are citizens or permanent residents of EU member states:
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
2.Terms and Conditions
- Passengers entitled to zero-fare transport services are required to register at ZSSK cash desks.
- Upon registration, they will obtain their rail customer cards that will allow them to get zero-fare tickets for travelling by trains.
- Zero-fare tickets are passenger-specific, i.e. the tickets are non-transferable.
- Passengers with the zero-fare tickets for train category Os and REX can board any Os or REX train for the route specified on the ticket within the period of validity.
- Zero-fare tickets are bound to trains of R, RR, Ex, EN, EC, SC category. In this case – the passengers can only board the specific train the number of which is printed on the ticket.
- If a passenger chooses to travel by a train from category SC or EC, they will pay an extra fee: 1€ for EC train and mandatory reservation fee 5€ for SC train.
- The zero-fare transport is not available on IC trains.
3. What documents do we need in order to register zero-fare passengers and issue rail customer cards for them?
- For full-time students under 26 years of age who are enrolled in study programs equivalent to study programs available at schools and universities in Slovakia
- Students are required to submit confirmation of enrolment for the current academic year together with an official translation to Slovak language ( for documents in Czech language translations are not necessary) and an ID document (+ profile picture)
If travelling on Tatra Electric Railways and Cog Railway (routes Štrba - Štrbské Pleso, Poprad-Tatry - Štrbské Pleso and Starý Smokovec - Tatranská Lomnica) or on the line Žilina - Rajec, no zero-fare ticket is needed (it is sufficient to present the customer card for zero-fare transport).
Please provide a picture that is up-to-date, unused and professional (sharp and bright enough). A person has to be depicted from the front, without any headwear or background. The required picture size: 2x3 cm.
Please note, that it is not possible to use the zero-fare tickets on the route segment between the last regular station on the Slovak territory and the state border. Entitled passengers are to use the zero-fare tickets only between the stations within the territory of Slovakia. The exception are children under 6 years of age. They travel for free also in border areas.
Last modified: 30.06.2017